HomeAbility is a special product designed to assist Maryland homebuyers with disabilities to finance their home purchase. This is a Conventional Loan product and provides up to 95% LTV in a first lien and up to 25% (with a maximum of $45,000) in a second lien to assist with down payment and closing costs. The combined LTV may not exceed 105%. The interest rate for the first lien is posted on the
Interest Rates page; the second lien has a rate of 0% and payment is deferred for the life of the first lien, but becomes payable upon sale, refinance, or transfer of the home.
To be eligible for HomeAbility:
- One of the borrowers has disabilities OR one of the borrowers is a guardian for, resides with, and is the principal caregiver for an immediate family member who is disabled (regardless of age).
- Disability is documented by submitting:
- a CDA "Certificate of Disability" completed by a health, mental health, or disability professional; and/or
- a proof of income from Social Security Administration (i.e. SSI or SSDI), VA or former employer: the proof is a copy of the borrower's disability policy, award letter or benefits statement from the benefits payer (insurance company, employer or other qualified disinterested party), per FNMA's guidelines; or
- a proof of application for disability benefits evaluation and a copy of the Social Security Administration office’s decision on the application.
- It is entirely CDA’s decision as to the sufficiency of the documentation.
- Borrower(s) individual income is less than or equal to the Area Media Income Limits shown below.
HomeAbility – Maximum Income/Affordability Limits for Borrowers
This product is designed for homebuyers at or below 80% of the Area Median Income. The income and purchase price limits are posted at:
mmp.maryland.gov/Lenders/income. (These limits are subject to change when Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac update their income limits, usually once a year. Updates are announced by directive.)
Unless otherwise stated, all requirements and guidelines of the Maryland Mortgage Program apply. Please refer to overlays and underwriting guidelines for US BANK and GSEs (FNMA & FHLMC) for additional requirements.
HomeAbility can only be offered by lenders who have achieved gold- or silver-tier status.
Lender List for Gold- or Silver-Tier Status
For More Information